The Role Of The Coroner

All cases of sudden or violent death a Coroner will be appointed to investigate the death, this article tells you more about how the Coroner works and what he does. It also advises you how to interact with the Coroner and explains how to get help from the appointed person.

The Role Of The Coroner

Coping with the sudden death is traumatic enough...but, knowing that an Inquest will follow places yet another burden on the family. All the official people involved are aware that those who are newly bereaved may be intensely distressed, bewildered at the ‘loss’ of their ’loved-one’ and unsure of where to turn for support. Do not be afraid to ask for help.


A Coroner is an experienced Doctor or Lawyer appointed by a Local Authority to investigate ’sudden and violent deaths’ in the name of the Queen. A Coroner is completely independent of the Local Authority, the Police and the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

His or Her findings should depend on the facts as he or she hears them at the Inquest. A Coroner has a separate office and staff, known as Coroner’s Officers. A Coroner can investigate a death if the person who has died is found in their district, even though the death may have taken place somewhere else. A Coroner’s Officer is a member of the Coroner’s staff who manages the proceedings on behalf of the Coroner. You can talk to the Coroner’s Officer at any time, the FLO will tell you how to contact him or her.


This Booklet called...'Sudden Death & The Coroner' - written by Pip Finucane is now available in a web version and will help guide you through any issues encountered -

Sudden Death:

All deaths that are sudden, unexplained or suspicious are reported to the Coroner, who will then make enquiries to try to find the exact cause of death. Whilst these enquiries are being made, the death cannot be registered, a Certificate issued nor can the persons body be released, or Funeral arrangement be made. The Coroner may also arrange for a more detailed examination - a Post-Mortem to be carried out. In some cases an Interim Death Certificate may be issued to allow the death to at least be registered. He or she may also assist with some matters of Probate…issues involving property of the deceased ‘loved-one’.


Bereavement due to Traumatic Death...Real experiences/Interviews:


Further Help & Support:


There are many other organisations that can offer help and support to Victims of Crime.  The pages in this section provide easy, direct access to specialist advice supplied by voluntary and public bodies -


































Next Page

Family Liason Officer | Informing of a Death | Coroner
Murder Abroad
| Post Mortem| Inquest | Funeral



















































 E. & O.E.